Introducing the Lifelong Learner Literacy Program
Net proceeds from the BookEnds event will be used to support year one of the program through the hiring of a full time Literacy Coordinator for 2016 and 2017.
While the BookEnds event brought in a huge amount, we need another $65,000 to fund year two of this initiative. We are depending on the ongoing generosity of this community to help fund this historic literacy project. By making a tax-deductible donation you can continue the fight against illiteracy.
The goal of this two year literacy enhancement effort is to reach our youngest readers and their families in all areas of the community, especially the under-served.
“I am a Lifelong Learner is designed to complement and build on other community-wide literacy efforts to increase reading and STEM success beyond the base services provided by the Library, additionally the program will provide underserved communities with direct access to professional librarians from our local system,” said Library Services Manager Ava Ehde.
“It will enable us to get outside the libraries to offer programs and services at the point-of-need in the community.”
We give you the choice to support your community and this historic effort.
With nearly 50% of Manatee County third graders reading below their grade level, any contribution you make will positively impact our community and aid in the next generation’s success.
We have a variety of programs your contribution can support that you can learn more about below.
You can use the Lifelong Learner contribution form below to send your gift online.
Additionally, you can send your contribution to The Library Foundation, Inc., 1301 Barcarrota Blvd. W., Bradenton, FL 34205
Lifelong Learner Literacy Contributions
You can support the Lifelong Learner Literacy Program through the following contribution options:
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Kit (STEM) – Equip our community with the 21st century skills needed to find employment in the largest growing job fields: $300
- Star Wars Reads Day – Help our libraries participate in this nationwide celebration of reading and Star Wars: $300
- Summer Reading Program – The “summer slide” is a notorious enemy of literacy. You can help prevent by helping us keep children reading even when school is out of session: $250
- Family Literacy Programs – Teach the entire family how to read: $200
- Early Literacy Kit (ELK) – Lay the foundation for success. Help our children learn the basics: $120
- Launch Pads – Youngsters will be glued to that screen no matter what. You can give a digital literacy guide to keep reading fun: $120
WHAT LITERACY CAN MEAN TO THE COMMUNITY: Over 80% of elementary age children, from low-income homes in Manatee County, cannot read at a third grade level. Although many local agencies are concerned about the issue, no institution is as trusted as our libraries, where all are welcome, regardless of immigrant status, gender, or age. Help us make a difference that will strengthen our community’s future. Please let others know about this innovative gift giving opportunity.
Of course, we always welcome discussing other planned giving donation possibilities privately with you. Just call the Library at 941.216.8746. If you need more information, just let us know.
You can find us on: